Hearty artichokes and roasted potatoes meet fresh cherry tomatoes and arugula. I translated this recipe from one of my favorite Turkish food magazines called Sofra, and found it to be a perfectly balanced and healthy side dish. It even tastes great the next day!
Serves 5-6 as side dish
4 medium sized red potatoes, cubed
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (30 ml) + more for dressing
2 garlic cloves, smashed
3-4 large fresh artichoke bottoms (sub: 1 full can of artichoke bottoms)
2 tablespoons lemon juice (30 ml)
2 cups baby arugula (40 grams)
1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved (150 grams)
Apple cider vinegar to taste (sub: red wine vinegar)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius).
- Heat olive oil in a small skillet and add garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes until garlic flavor has infused the oil. Remove garlic pieces.
- Toss potatoes in garlic oil with a pinch of salt and spread out into baking tray lined with parchment paper. Roast in oven until golden and completely cooked through, about 30-45 minutes. Then place into refrigerator to cool down. *Note, you can speed this process up by boiling the potatoes for about 10 minutes before cutting them and roasting.
- Meanwhile, boil a small pot of water and add lemon juice and artichoke bottoms. Cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Allow to cool down in the refrigerator and then cut them into about 6 pieces each.
- In a large bowl, toss cooled down potatoes, artichokes, arugula, and tomatoes with a splash of apple cider vinegar, a drizzle of olive oil, and salt/pepper.