This is not a traditional Turkish dessert, but I wanted to create something easy and healthy with common Turkish ingredients: dried figs, chocolate, and pistachios.
Dried figs are easy to find in both Turkey and the United Sates. In fact, many American stores carry dried figs imported from Turkey or Greece. I usually buy mine at Trader Joe's. They are perfect for the winter when fresh figs are not in season. Pistachios are native to the Middle East and are just one of many types of nuts that with regular consumption may reduce the risk of heart disease. For more information on that, check out this article.
These chocolate covered dried figs can be made in a single-serving small batch for one, or a large quantity for a group. You can get creative with the types of chocolates and toppings you dip them in. In fact, mixing and matching with different kinds of chocolate and nuts and packing them into a box is a great gift idea.
Bittersweet chocolate chips
Optional: finely chopped pistachios, walnuts, pecans, or other ingredients of your choice!
- In a glass bowl, melt chocolate chips in microwave until slightly melted- then stir until smooth. Note: it is better to just slightly melt them and then let the warmth of the bowl complete the melting process.
- Dip figs into chocolate and place onto a piece of parchment or wax paper to cool.
- Store in airtight container.
Tips & Additional Information
- Try using these as a fancy topper to frozen yogurt or ice cream.
- Pack a few of these as an easy snack during the day. They would make a great addition to trail mix!