Çılbır is made up of a runny poached egg over garlicky yogurt, drizzled in a little bit of spiced butter.
Çılbır is high in protein and can be a very filling breakfast, lunch, or dinner! The textures might seem weird together at first- but when I finally made this dish I was surprised by how much I liked it. It can be eaten alone, or with crusty whole wheat bread to soak it up.
The secret to making this dish is the Aleppo pepper and butter. You only need a small amount, but it is what makes this dish really delicious.
Modifications for a healthier version can be found below!
1 egg, cracked into a bowl
6 oz plain nonfat yogurt (170 grams) *Fage brand in America works nicely
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1/2 Tbsp butter (7 grams)
Pinch of red (Aleppo) pepper flakes
Pinch of salt
Splash of vinegar
- Make garlic yogurt by mixing together minced garlic and yogurt. Set aside.
- Bring water to a gentle boil and add a splash of vinegar and pinch of salt.
- Poach egg: Make a whirlpool in the water with the back of a spoon, and gently lower the egg into the center of the whirlpool. Allow to cook for 3-4 minutes, and remove with a slotted spoon.
- Meanwhile, melt butter and mix in Aleppo pepper.
- Place your yogurt into your serving bowl and make an indentation in the center for the egg. Gently lower the egg into place and drizzle with butter.
- Eat with a spoon or soak up with bread!
Tips & Additional Information
To lower saturated fat content, try using olive oil instead of butter.