Poğaça is a pastry that can be found throughout the Balkans and Turkey in a variety of forms. It is often served as a quick breakfast food, but can also make a great afternoon snack. This recipe uses the same dough as my Çavdar Unlu Kaşarlı Açık Poğaça: Open-Faced Rye Pastry with Cheese, Tomato, & Pepper. If you make the dough, you can use half of it to make these and half for the other recipe!
The filling can be whatever you want, or you can leave them plain!
Makes 16 pastries
50 mL warm water
10 grams active dry yeast
⅓ cup butter, softened (75 grams)
¼ cup plain full-fat yogurt (75 grams)
⅛ cup olive oil (35 grams)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon salt
330 grams rye flour + extra for dusting work surface
75 grams whole wheat flour
160 grams kasar or beyaz peynir (substitutes: mild cheddar, Greek feta)
Nigella seeds (substitute: toasted sesame seeds)
Optional: sliced green or purple olives
1 egg yolk
1 egg-yolk-sized spoon of yogurt
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk butter, yogurt, olive oil, and eggs.
- Add yeast to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Slowly add rye and whole wheat flour to the wet ingredients, about 100 grams at a time. Mix until a soft dough forms, then knead the dough on a floured surface for 3-4 minutes.
- Return dough to bowl and cover with a towel. Leave in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour. When it is cold in my house, I usually turn on my oven for 2-3 minutes to create a kind of “proof-box”, then put my dough inside to rise. Just remember not to leave the oven on!
- Preheat the oven to 360 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Turn dough onto floured surface and split into 16 equally sized pieces (about 50 grams per piece).
- Roll out each piece of dough into a circle.
- Place about 10 grams of shredded cheese (and optionally 2-3 slices of olive) in the middle of the dough, then fold the edges of dough around the cheese to form a circular pastry.
- Transfer pastries to parchment lined baking sheet, with the seam of the dough facing down. Make glaze by whisking together egg yolk and yogurt, then brush over the dough. Sprinkle with nigella seeds.
- Place in middle of oven and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden-brown. Serve warm or at room temperature. You can freeze any extras to enjoy on another day!